Devon Sharks 18 – 54 Cornish Rebels



by Rob Butland
Greenmount-sponsored Cornish Rebels travelled to Torquay on Saturday and demonstrated their strength in depth as a team missing some regular faces and scattered with debutantes enjoyed an emphatic victory over a plucky Devon Sharks RLFC. 
The Sharks hosted a fantastic day at Windmill Hill, with a family fun day raising money for their charity partners Macmillan Cancer Support in full swing when the teams arrived. 
Both teams started conservatively and both enjoyed periods of stable possession before Rebels loose-forward Martyn Lawrance broke the deadlock with a try 15 minutes in after a break from second row Ashley Lawton set him free through a gap in the defenders. Scrum-half Sam Carter converted that try before nipping through the defence to touch down for himself, this time though he was unlucky with the kick, but kept a cool head on a hot day playing the full 80 minutes and, along with standout performances from stand-off Sam Bristow and Captain Paul Saberton at hooker, helped boss a great game for the Champions. 
A stunning run from centre James Martin ended in his first try of a brace which was goaled by Carter before the Sharks scored their first points of the day after 28 minutes through stalwart Paul Cartwright who put in a fantastic performance at Prop.
The Rebels hit back though, Alex Ducker danced through the defence from the half-way line to dive over the line and Carter added the extras just before half time. Rebels forward Jack Savage found himself in the sin bin for a shoulder charge just before the break and there was time for a scoring response from the Sharks, with Oli Hill going over the whitewash but Ash Ansermoz was unable to convert and the score sat at 8-22 with 40 minutes to play. 
The Sharks came out fighting in the second half and defended well in the opening 5 minutes but errors in attack cost them, as it did throughout the afternoon, and Martyn Lawrance picked up his second and third tries of the afternoon in quick succession. Oli Hill grabbed his second of the afternoon for the home team and Ash Ansermoz added the conversion this time, but the Rebels soon opened up the centre channels; Dan Briskham and James Martin to touched down in each corner before Sharks responded again though Matt Limmer. A simple case of too little too late as Saberton and Lawrance kept the scoreboard ticking over until the last few minutes. 
The victory meant that Cornish Rebels booked their place in their third consecutive South West Cup Final. They will face Exeter Centurions on 20th June, venue TBC. 
The South West Rugby League calendar now takes a break for a week as next weekend is the first County of Origin game between Cornwall and Devon at Redruth. Sunday 24th May, 3pm Kick-off. 
Full Time – Devon Sharks 18 – 54 Cornish Rebels 
Devon Sharks: 
Oli Hill, Jack Carslisle, Sam Daley, Rich Sutherland, Adam Morgan, Matt Limmer, Josh Mackin, Jon Ross, Ash Ansermoz, Phil Johnson, Jimmy Hill, Ant Drew, Tom Winfield, Paul Cartwright, Matt Anders, Jack Kieller, Natahn Boaler. 
Cartwright, Hill (2), Limmer
Ansermoz 1 from 4
Cornish Rebels:
Lewis Thomas, Sam Scates-Veale, Dan Briskham, James Martin, James Wilson, Sam Carter, Sam Bristow, Jess Thompset, Paul Saberton, Jamie Prisk, Matt Ballard, Ashley Lawton, Martyn Lawrance,  Shaun Ellis, Nathan Thomas, Dan Thomas, Jack Savage, Elliot Worral, Guy Pallet, Calum Durant, Ethan Pattison, Alex Ducker. 
Martin (2), Briskham, Carter, Ducker, Lawrance (4), Saberton
Carter 7 from 10
All images are copyright to John Beach Photography. Permission must be granted directly for use elsewhere.